|created 7/12/2011 - 10:32 pm, updated 7/13/2011 - 10:43 pm by Chris Mangrum|
UPDATE: Order denied.
UPDATE: The NRA isn't having any of it.
Heard it was coming and here it is. From The Blaze:
A few days ago, the Blaze reported on the low-key plans of the Obama administration to increase the penalties for certain gun law violations, and add steps to the background checks for legal gun ownership.
Today the administration’s plans are beginning to come into effect. Through an Executive Order, the Obama administration is implementing new restrictions on the sale of certain weapons in border states, and increasing the penalties for violating certain firearms laws.
Fox News is reporting on the purpose of the gun control executive orders:
“In an effort to stem the illicit flow of weapons into Mexico, the Justice Department announced Monday that all gun shops in four Southwest border states will be required to alert the federal government to frequent buyers of high-powered rifles.
Under the new policy, federal firearms licensees in Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico must report purchases of two or more of some types of rifles by the same person in a five-day span. The requirement applies to purchases of semi-automatic rifles that have detachable magazines and a caliber of greater than .22.
Considering all I've read about Gunwalker, it seems kind of redundant to report those to the ATF when it has been the ATF letting the straw purchases continue all along.
ATF estimates it will generate 18,000 reports a year. ATF will retain the information and if no investigative leads have been realized after two years, it will be purged.”
Yeah, ok. Once they have the data do you really think they will get rid of it?
The Daily Beast seems to have the inside track on more Executive Orders, however, claiming recent conversations with administration officials. TDB says the upcoming Executive Orders will have more impact than what Fox outlines above, including:
“A national electronic system designed to make background checks for handgun buyers simpler and faster, leaving an electronic paper trail. [And] Tougher sentencing guidelines for straw buyers that Holder’s department pushed through procedural hoops at the U.S. Sentencing Commission earlier this year.”
Other stories that might interest you:
- Gunwalker hearing has everyone bent out of shape
- ATF bypassing Congress with "emergency" regulation that equates to backdoor firearm registration
- 923 Executive Orders In 40 Months
- Project Gunrunner - Fast and Furious investigation about to hit center stage
- Obama Executive Action in the works for gun control
- Californians to face new ammunition restrictions February 1, 2011
- Too Fast, Too Furious: ATF email suggests using walked guns as justification for more gun control
- It's not the bullets, baby
- It's official. The border between Canada and the U.S. has just been erased by the swipe of a pen.
- ATF nixes the reintroduction of 850,000 M1 Garands to the U.S.