|created 10/22/2012 - 5:01 pm, updated 10/22/2012 - 5:30 pm by Chris Mangrum|
The Boise State football team jumped several spots in each of the major polls Sunday, following their 32-7 rout of UNLV at home Saturday.
The Broncos team jumped from No. 22 to No. 18 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll, from No. 23 to No. 19 in the Harris Poll, and from No. 24 to No. 21 in the Associated Press Top 25.
The coaches' poll and Harris poll are the two human components of the BCS Rankings, which will be released later Sunday.
In the coaches' poll, the Broncos (6-1) received a season-best 407 points, surpassing their previous high by 136 points.
This marks the fourth consecutive week that Boise State was included in the coaches polls, which accounts for one-third of a teams score in the BCS Standings.
The BCS Effect
While the Broncos received their biggest boost in the coaches poll this season, both Michigan and Wisconsin continued to gain momentum as well.
This weekend, the Wolverines went on the road and beat Michigan State, 12-10, while the Badgers won at home against Minnesota, 38-10.
The Broncos’ current hope of finishing in front of the Big Ten champion and climbing into the top 16 to secure the non-AQ auto bid will take a big hit if both Michigan and Wisconsin find a way to win out in the regular season. It is unlikely that Boise State could do enough with their remaining schedule (their last five opponents have a combine 14-20 record) to hold them off.
If the Broncos do not finish in front of a championship from one of the six BCS conferences, then Boise State would have to climb into the top 14 where at-large eligibility begins.
Other stories that might interest you:
- Boise State opens the BCS poll ranked #5
- In a bye week, Broncos move up in the polls
- Broncos finish the season ranked 7 and 9 in Coaches and AP
- Broncos rank #3 in the first BCS results. Now I'm confused...
- Broncos drop a spot in the BCS, now at #4
- Broncos #7 in preseason USA Today poll
- Broncos move up to #2 in the national polls prior to BCS rankings
- Broncos cover SI, move up to #4 in the AP poll
- Boise State Broncos ranked #3 in virtually every poll
- More Bronco bling: USA Today and Sports Illustrated feature BSU Football